Club Motorsport UK Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Build or Buy

3 posters

Go down

Build or Buy Empty Build or Buy

Post  PeteGTi Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:50 am

I am looking to go racing next year but do not know whether to build & prep a car myself or if i should buy a car redy to race. so far my track experience is limited to track days with an old mark 2 golf. i am considering using that as a base for a modified saloon / tintop.

What are the thoughts on building your own first race car. or would i be better off buying ready to race?

Thanks, Peter
PeteGTi
PeteGTi

Back to top Go down

Build or Buy Empty Re: Build or Buy

Post  Stellaman Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:26 am

PeteGTi wrote:I am looking to go racing next year but do not know whether to build & prep a car myself or if i should buy a car redy to race. so far my track experience is limited to track days with an old mark 2 golf. i am considering using that as a base for a modified saloon / tintop.

What are the thoughts on building your own first race car. or would i be better off buying ready to race?

Thanks, Peter

Hi Pete,
I currently race in Stock Hatch with a XR3i. 1st year this year.
My advice would be to buy a car thats ready to race. It is usually less hassle and cheaper to do it this way.
Even if you are handy with engines etc ends up costing people a fortune to build their own cars and alot of time.
If you want to get out and race just buy!!!! (my opinion anyway)
What championship(s) are you looking at?
Stellaman
Stellaman

http://www.stockhatcher.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  PeteGTi Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:38 am

Thanks Stellaman

It all depends what I decide to do. If I mod my Gti then I limit myself to Combe Saloons or Hot Hatch maybe. But if i buy then I can really look to anything affordable. The only problem I have with a national championship like stock or hot hatch is that I'm stuck out on a limb here in dorset. I may be better heading towards the castle combe saloon championship for the first year or so.

Peter
PeteGTi
PeteGTi

Back to top Go down

Post  Stellaman Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:46 am

Location isnt ideal but there are a number of championships south biased. As you mentioned CCombe etc.
Much also depends on your budget.
There is the new Gti championship that had its 1st yr in 2007 depending on what Golf you have. http://www.golfgtiracing.co.uk/
I used to trackday a 200sx S13 but to get that spec'd up for drift championship would have been megabucks. So went for an entry level instead.
Stellaman
Stellaman

http://www.stockhatcher.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Richd Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:24 am

I reckon Stellamans right, youve got to look at the fact that you have a lot to learn when you get out on track. To learn race craft at the same time as developing a car may prove difficult and may mean you don't do justice to either. if youve got the mechanical ability and the budget, then why not try and build a car over a year whilst running a cheap car that gets you out on track. After all you can transfer a lot of the safety equipment over to the new car when its ready (extinguisher, seat, harness, transponder, rain light, battery and maybe more)

Cheers
Rich
Richd
Richd
Admin

https://alliedracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PeteGTi Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:45 am

Thanks Guys

I'll have to have a look at whats available. i'll keep in touch as I think I'll be needing a lot more advice before the start of the season.

Peter
PeteGTi
PeteGTi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down